Monday, December 8, 2008

Nobody ever said it would be easy...

So, I was inspired to go public with some thoughts I've had because of the sweet gal over at this blog: www.thepurvisfam.blogspot.com

Reading her post about being a SAHM was like reading the thoughts from my very own mind.

Being a stay-at-home mom is the hardest job in the world. It requires so much work, and gets so little appreciation at times. It is very much a self-sacrifice. I know that mom's who work sacrifice alot too. But staying at home often times means alot of lonliness, and no adult interaction. It's so funny that I could love staying at home so much, and at the same time I have days when it gets on my nerves!!

I have my "good times" when all I feel is great appreciation to the Lord and my husband for allowing me to stay home. Then I have those "not so good days" when I am very lonely. And I hate to stay it, but I also have those days when I feel like I just want to go back to work simply to have money to buy shoes. It's true. I tend to look at what other people have. Even though those people have two incomes...two VERY NICE incomes. Don't get me wrong, I get to buy shoes. I mean, what would life be without fabulous shoes right?! But, it's those times when I have to say "no" to myself because the family needs something. When I know without doubt that with that income I used to have, there wouldn't be any "no's."

Those are the days when I am being selfish. I know what really matters. The sacrifices I've made both personally and financhially will always outway what I've given up.

So, here's a little "something" I wrote a few months ago on one of those "bad days." I was feeling down...and I was sick and tired of feeling that way! I sat at the kitchen table with some paper and a pen and began to write what I felt in my heart.. I then put it on my fridge so that I could read it when "one of those days" came about:

When you are feeling lonely and feel as though you have no purpose, remember:
~God's plan for me is totally different than His plan for someone else.
~Quit looking at what others have, do, or "seem" to feel. Their life is not mine.
~I am choosing to raise my kids! The hardest job in the world is this.
~This job earns no pay but reaps rewards greater that I can see.
~I cannot get these young years back. Soon, they will be grown and not require all my love and attention. I will miss these years...

...and by then, it will not have mattered that we had more money, a nicer house or car, or that we payed off debt faster. What will have mattered are the memories that we've made. And the satisfaction of knowing that nobody else raised my children. The satisfaction of no regrets. No amount of money can replace that peace.

Blessings,
A grateful and blessed SAHM

.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

You absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one. All I ever wanted growing up was to be a mom, but when I first became a mom I had to work. I loved working. I loved the independence, but I always wished I could stay home. Then my Mom died, and I couldn't bear to put my kids in daycare. I quit my job. I did try to go back for awhile, but I just couldn't. I knew I needed to be home with them. And while I love it so much, and the freedom it offers, I do miss my independence, the productiveness, the friendships. Staying home is lonely and it's easy to get into a rut.

I love your quotes you put on your fridge. Especially the one about not comparing yourself to others and what they "seem" to have. I've been doing that lately just reading all of these blogs. Everyone seems to have such exciting lives and I think to myself how boring I am! LOL

You have such an incredible business starting up and I just know it will be a huge success. That's what I aspire to with my business. Although I don't know exactly where it's going yet, I just have the dream. Like the best of both worlds....staying home and working all at the same time, doing what I love.

Sorry to ramble on. I really wish you all the success with your business. We may not have coworkers to talk to, but we can encourage and support each other through these blogs!

Mandy Crowell said...

Hon, I am so with you on many levels. I too have a love of material things, plus I tend to look at what others have and the lives they lead and compare it unfavorably to mine. There are so many ways we are blessed to be able to stay at home with our kids (I hear that all the time from working moms I know), and yet we tend to forget that when we see a shop window, don't we?

I love your list and I think I'll adopt that for my frig as well, because you are absolutely correct in that the Lord's plan for my life and your life is completely different that His plan for others. And the rewards for the work we do now can't be measured. They have intangible, eternal value that will hold up long after the prada shoes and coach purses have withered away!
Thanks for your words of wisdom!

Jill said...

Amen, sista! I couldn't agree more with every word you just wrote. Oh, the shoes I could own if I still worked! Girl, we are rowing along in the same little boat. I struggle with keeping up, even though the people I'm trying to keep up with have 2 incomes. Then I get mad at myself for caring about material things. I know that I'm so blessed to be able to raise my own children. But it's hard. Really hard and really wonderful all at the same time. Take care, Jill

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Mandy, you are such a blessing.. I'm so glad I have gotten to know you.. us SAHM's gotta stick together! Who needs a real Coach anyway?? I can go to Harwin and get a nice one for $20!!

Rachel www.jackandcoledesigns.com said...

Hey Jill! Welcome to my blog!! I'm glad you are here!

Dancing Queen said...

all i can say is AMEN, SISTAH!! i have to remember those things a lot...but what always puts it back in perspective is when i think of what i would be missing out on...then, i take a deep breath, and am able to go on! once the kiddos are older, and you are able to become more involved, then the adult interaction will increase too!

btw...3 children, especially at this age of elementary school where there are school responsibilities, afterschool activities, bedtimes, etc., definitely is tough...annie turned 8 in august, jack turned 6 in november, and sam is 3 1/2...so they are not real close, but not too far apart either...i definitely can see the pros/cons of both! i've been praying a lot lately for guidance on what we should do, then this morning, i had was overcome with the feeling of yes, let's at least try for a #4...who knows, it might not happen! i'll be 37 in july, so i'm not getting any younger, so will probably give it a year and if nothing, then we'll at least know we gave it a try, but God had other plans!

i feel so flattered that you asked my opinion!! you are so sweet!!

off to do homework...we have pta christmas program/book fair tonight:)

Amy said...

Please e-mail me...I'd love to chat regarding your decison!

thepurvisfam@gmail.com

I loved what you had to say in addition to what I had written. It's amazing that we get to call what we do a job...my worst day at home couldn't even compare to my best day at work!

by the way, we've got a Cole...he's our oldest! Cole Alexander...good little name for guys!!!

Look forward to chatting with you!!