Sunday, August 23, 2009

Feelings from the heart

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great day!

I was excited today to find out I have more blog readers than I thought...I realize that several of you read the blog but don't have blogs yourself.. Hi Jamie!! ;0) Thanks for following me and my little crew.

I just want to brag on the holy spirit right now.. church today was so amazing. We had a guest speak whom I grew up listening to each year at church camp. He's awesome.

He spoke from the book of Psalms and on the Valley of Baca. Which is the valley of sorrows or tears for a believer.

Here was the verse:
"Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
they will still be praising You.
Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
They make it a spring;
The rain also covers it with pools."
Psalm 84:4-6

It was a good message that I needed to hear. I'm so thankful that the presence of trials or valleys in our life is not the absence of God's love, care or protection for us. Notice in the verse that it says, "As they pass through.." Instead of IF they pass through. He is speaking to God's people here. He made it a point to say that as long as we live on this earth, Satan fights us, he battles us and wants to tear us apart. God does allow things that we do not understand. Some people associate a trial or something "bad" happening to them with the lack of obideince. That is not always the case. Isn't that good to know?

He said something today that was very profound to me: "If it will matter in a thousand years, then worry about it." Puts things into perspective for me. If it won't matter one thousand years from now, why fret over it? We should worry about things that will last in eternity.

I have to say how thankful I am for my mother. She is the most amazing person and I love her more than words can say. She quit working back in March and I have had the pleasure of hanging out with her ever since. :) We go eat lunch, we go shopping, we get pedicures.. I've truly enjoyed this quality time with. Especially being pregnant, there is just something about having your mother there. She shared with me something she read in her bible that really spoke to me so I'd like to share it with you all.. it was along with this chapter that he preached on today:

"The Lord is a sun and a sheild; the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withold from those who walk uprightly." Psalms 84:11


Something I have had to learn myself, is that the phrase, "no good thing" does not mean what we want. It means no good thing according to His will for our life. That's a hard pill to swallow. Either way, we are to be thankful for those things to which He doesn't see fit to allow.

Mom also shared with me this tidbit of info written by Billy Grahm's wife Mary:

I'm embarrassed at how often I've heard myself say, "Oh, God , please..." I learned to beg with my mother, so I employ those same techniques with God. To my relief; it never works. You see, God's word says He is a sun and a sheild. A sun provides light so we can see. And a sheild protects us from what we can't see. He has the grace to give us both. I've learned God is full of grace. He witholds nothing that is good for me. I walk with Him; He shows me the way. I have a need; He provides it. When it isn't the fullfilment of my own imaginings, I trust Him. He sees the end from the beginning. He has the grace to give me what I need, and the grace not to. He is full of grace.
Mary Grahm

Thank you Jesus for speaking to my heart today. God Bless each of you who stop by here to read. Come back tomorrow, I have cute pictures to share!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thank you for that Rachel! I enjoyed reading it. I think it is so hard for us sometimes because we think about what matters in wordly terms, which is not at all what matters most when you think in eternal terms. I am so glad that you are close with your Mom and enjoy your time with her....it makes me so sad when people don't enjoy their Moms, because I don't have mine anymore and I would give anything to have her back!