Wednesday, January 7, 2009

CPSIA

Well, I think it would be an understatement to say that everyone hasn't already heard about this law.. I'm just in total shock about it actually.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm all for having safer products for our children. The last thing I want is my child sucking on an infant toy that is covered in lead paint. But I feel that this law is going to cause so many businesses, small and large, to go under.

I have fought this law and signed as many petitions as possible.

So many retailers aren't buying new products, or are putting a hold on their Spring orders for this very reason. We are all afraid that we will be caught selling "untested products" and face $100,000 in fines and/or jail time!! Seriously--this is going too far. I think Congress jumped ahead of themselves when they made this law.. The ruling states, "...any product intended for a child 12 years of age and younger." Can you imagine the WIDE range of products that will hit?? We're talking everything from pacifiers and clothing to toilet paper and shoe laces.

Everyone is being effected by this. Tonight my husband went into Toys R Us to return a toy my son got for Christmas. He was amazed because the shelves were still empty! It's almost mid January.. he kept thinking that it surely couldn't be because of the Christmas shopping.. nope, it wasn't. Come to find out, Toys R Us isn't ordering anything else until this law is amended or settled upon. WOW, if Toys R Us is shaking in their boots how do you think us WAHM's feel about our businesses??

It doesn't matter who you are: Retailer or Manufactuered--your going to have to face up to this new law. If you make children's clothes, pacifiers, drawer knobs, bedding, bows, books, artwork, shoes..ANYTHING. You name it, it's being affected.

I can count 20 boutiques/businesses I deal with personally who are worrying over this. Vendors and retailers alike. I have spoken to very popular and widely known boutique baby clothing company owners who are worried as well. Neiman Marcus is calling them wanting to know what THEY are supposed to do with the inventory they have! Yikes. I know many of these women-owned business owners personally.. we are all hanging and waiting to see what will happen.

They are also saying that all books in schools and libraries will have to be destroyed and re-made. Who is going to pay for that? Our tax dollars?

I've also heard that charities will no longer be able to take donations of any kind of children's product due to this new law.

If you are a business owner and will be affected by this, please sign this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=G_2bIiti1Whb3m9rMaZP4GJQ_3d_3d

This is a great info site. You can scroll down to read the initial info on this law. She's keeping everyone updated:
http://www.thesmartmama.com/bg/

In the end, I know God is in control. I know he didn't give me the dream for this business just so it could fall apart. I have faith. I'm just praying about it and trying not to focus on the "what-ifs."

If anyone has any info/updates on this please e-mail it to me at jackandcoledesigns@yahoo.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this law currently will kill thrift stores and second hand consignment shops. amanda will just die.

Kristin said...

I know how you feel! That's why I haven't made one single thing for my business that I was so excited to get started on....I don't want to get started only to have to start all over! Sure, I could make things for the over 12 crowd, but that's not where my heart is. Surely they will amend it to only apply to these overseas large manufacturers. This is the worst thing that could happen to all of us working moms in today's economy. I heard it will also affect every single resale shop. Imagine....50% of the businesses will no longer exist, if not more! Thanks for the info. I will head over to those sites now.

Erica said...

It's going to be a bummer from my end!!!

What are you going to do also???