Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So Thankful

In my last post I mentioned a scary situation that took place at the hospital after Parker was born. It's been very hard for me to talk about because when/if I do, I burst into tears. I get this sick feeling in my stomach and it feels as though I was losing my baby boy all over again.

We were supposed to be discharged last Wednesday from the hospital. I was actually scheduled to stay until Thursday but I was feeling good and was eager to get home and see my boys. So my doctor said we could go home early. We only had to wait for him to come check me out and to also do the "pee pee surgery" for little Parker.

The afternoon turned into evening and it was obvious that he wasn't going to make it over to discharge us. Victor and I were both bummed because we wanted to go home and sleep in our own bed so badly. Anyhow, we had some friends visiting us and we really enjoyed their company. Shortly after they left my niece noticed that Parker had some throw up coming out of his mouth (he was laying in his little hospital bed). We didn't think anything of it; just wiped it up. A few minutes passed and I randomly decided to check his diaper. I walk over and see that he now has vomit coming out of his nose. Upon further observation I realize that he isn't moving and is also not breathing. I tried not to panic and quickly picked him up to burp him. That did no good so then I go into panic mode and I turn to Victor and say, "Victor I think he is choking." He takes him and also tries to burp him to no avail. I started yelling and told my husband that he was choking. He told me to run and get a nurse. I was a total basketcase. I opened the door to our room and scream for the nurses to come. I couldn't even speak when one of them asked me what was wrong. All I could manage to do was wave my hands for them to come into the room. When I turn around I see my little boy, his face was totally blue and his lips were as black as his hair. It was a horrible sight. The entire event seemed to take 30 minutes. I watch as 5 nurses rush into my room, one of them calls for a code red... I'm standing there with my hands covering my mouth sobbing and I tell you honestly that I thought that my boy was going to die. Those few minutes he was without air seemed like an eternity. I must have been ugly I know because I was yelling at those ladies to save him. One nurse picked him up and began beating him on his back. She beat and beat and beat and it seemed like nothing was happening.. they finally the stuck something down his throat and he coughed out a very large amount of mucus that was stuck in his throat. He started crying and that is when I knew he was okay. I was still sobbing and all the kind nurses were saying, "He's okay Mom..see he's breathing..he's okay." But I just couldn't overcome the emotion of what I had just witnessed.

If I wasn't already an over-protective, off the wall crazy mom, I can tell you that I am now. It took me quite a long time to calm down. My poor husband was in shock as well. I just threw myself into his arms holding Parker and we immediately hit the floor and thanked God that He allowed him to live. I know many other mothers who have had more tragic situations with their children but this was by far the worst thing I've had to endure as a mother. I apologized to those ladies who saved his life for yelling at them. They told me not to even worry about it.. they understood.

So...it was meant to be for us not to be discharged. God had us stay an extra night for a reason. If this had taken place at home, I feel sure that Parker wouldn't have made it. I wouldn't have known what to do. My husband and I are now going to take an infant CPR/Emergency class.

I am so thankful that God was watching over my sweet little boy that night. I have a great appreciation for my children. Not that I didn't appreciate them before but now I hug them a little tighter. Life can be taken away from us so quickly. My heart aches when I think about mothers who have lost a child in some way.

Thank you Jesus for being with my boy. Thank you for my three precious boys. I love them more than life and cannot imagine life without them. God is good.

Enjoy these pictures I took of little Parker. He's such a sweetie!












4 comments:

The Sheffield Fam said...

Oh Rachel, I just can't imagine. God is so good and faithful.

Kristin said...

What a beautiful little blessing he is! I just cannot imagine what that moment must have been like for you. Praise God that He was in control and working things out for your favor and that He placed those nurses there to save little Parker. I am so glad he is okay! He is so precious!

Heahter said...

What cute pictures Rachel! He is a doll. I took and infant/child CPR class when I was pregnant with Caden. Maybe I need a refresher. So thankful he was ok.

Heather said...

Oh my, so scary. I have had to do back blows on Noah 3 times so far...the first time when he was just a few weeks old. It is so important to take a CPR/First Aid class. I have to take one every year for work, and even though I grumble through giving up my saturday morning it is so worth it! Kiss that baby boy for me!